Everyone has to start somewhere, even when it comes to essential oils. That's why, if you're starting at square one, it's nice to have an article to reference as an overview of essential oils for beginners.
First, to understand essential oils for beginners, it is important to know what essential oils are.
Essential Oils are made up of distilled, organic compounds extracted from plants, tree bark, leaves, flower fruit and other natural materials with tremendous healing properties. Essential oils have healing properties promoting and harmonizing a positive physical and mental balance. Using essential oils for healing purposes is often called aromatherapy or essential oil therapy. Essential oils are typically inhaled using Essential Oil Diffusers and mixed with other ingredients to create sprays.
Many essential oils contain compounds which help in the natural healing and treatment of certain conditions. Reports of using essential oils for anxiety or using essential oils for stress have become more and more common. However, we would encourage you to speak to your healthcare professional. None of the advice on this blog constitutes medical advice.
Uses of Essential Oils For Beginners:
- Apply to the skin
- Steam inhalation
- Use in an essential oil diffuser
- Use in a bath
- Aromatherapy massage
- Headache remedies
Popular Essential Oils For Beginners:
- Peppermint - Boosts energy, relieves tight muscles, freshens bad breath, relieves headaches
- Lavender - Alleviates headaches, heals burns and wounds, reduces anxiety and emotional stress
- Eucalyptus - Stimulates immunity, provides antioxidant protection, improves respiratory circulation
- Rosemary - Improves memory, soothes digestive uses, relieves muscle aches and pains
- Oregano - natural cold remedy, relieves sore muscles, treats fungal infections
- Lemon - nourishes the skin, promotes weight loss, improves digestion
- Chamomile - cancer prevention agent properties, calms ulcers in the stomach, lowering anxiety
- Clove - boosts the immune system, controlling diabetes, fights against oral diseases
- Frankincense - relieves arthritis pain, alleviates nasal congestion, boosts immunity
- Tea Tree - ability to treat wounds, diffusing it in the air to kill mold, helps heal earaches
Both frankincense oil and Tea Tree Essential Oils have promising anti-cancer effects.
Essential oils can be applied to the body using Carrier Oils. Carrier oils are naturally originated from vegetarian sources and have a neutral smell. They aren’t highly volatile substances like essential oils, which makes them an excellent medium for dilution and application. Carrier oils help dilute the essential oil before applying it to your skin. It is recommended that before using any carrier oil that you apply a small amount to your skin and see how your skin reacts to it.
Learning about essential oils for beginners means a lot of trial and error, thus, trying to avoid any oils or combinations of oils that you may have allergies to is an important safety step.
Carrier Oils For Beginners:
- Pomegranate Seed
An aromatherapy diffuser is an excellent and modest way to help foster healing, relaxation, and well-being. If you are starting to consider using essential oils on your body and throughout the home for health-related purposes, it's best to find reputable sources that sell 100% pure essential oils.